Friday, June 13, 2008

Feet

I can't sleep so I am going to write about my feet... They are pretty much the reason that I am unable to sleep right now, so I figured that if I write about them, maybe they will stop hurting and I will be able to sleep. I know it doesn't make very much sense to you, but when you are tired and in pain, it makes more sense...

On Thursday I had a foot appointment to check up on my bunions and talk about potential surgery. Justin came with me so he could ask all the smart questions that I always forget to ask. Since he is going to Maryland for 3 weeks for training, we thought that maybe I would be able to have surgery right before the trip then go with him and just hang out at the hotel since there would be nothing for me to do other than help him study anyway. We thought that would be the perfect plan so I could still be with him since recovery would take 6 weeks or so. But the doctor said no since he would have to follow up at least once a week to see how my foot is doing and to make sure it is not infected. So I have to stay home. (I am going to miss him more than he knows!)

So we were trying to figure out when we would be able to get it done... I can't have it done before he leaves because August is going to be crazy! We are going to Disneyland for my birthday, we have to move because our lease will be up, and he starts his training here. I can't do it any sooner than August because I can't go on an LOA while I am in my 90 days. We can't afford to have me miss that much work financially right now either. So, I will have to wait till I can receive vacation time which won't be till after my 90 days. But then he will have started his training, and I can't get it done while he is in training because he won't be able to help take care of me at all... So we have to wait till he is completely done with training and that won't be until the end of October or the beginning of November. But then work might not let me off because of the holidays... But that would mean that I would have to wait till at least January and by then my feet will be a lot worse. Especially since I am on them 40 hours a week in uncomfortable shoes. I got them a size bigger than normal so that I could still wear my inserts with them. I then realized that they were too tight on the tops of my feet with them in there so I can't wear them with the inserts. So I can't wear the inserts at all, which is not helping my feet; my shoes are too big, so they are chaffing the tops of my feet and my heels; and standing on my feet as opposed to sitting 8 hours a day is killing them enough as it is! So now my bunions are sore and swollen. I miss my Etnies!!!

When I actually have the surgery it will have to be one foot at a time because recovery would be a lot harder if I can't be on either of my feet at all... It will be really weird when one foot is still flexible, and the other is fused at the joint. I will really miss being able to move my feet the way I can right now, but I will really be glad that I won't be in pain. It's times like this when I wish I wasn't as flexible, but at the same time, I am really glad that I am. I will miss my flexible feet that mold to whatever they are standing on.

1 comment:

Little Bee said...

Sad!!! I might get bunions to....